I don’t know about you, but as someone who has only been married three years, 30 years seems like a lifetime. Really, it is my lifetime! I am SO incredibly encouraged when I see other couples who have lived a marriage rich in love and respect. Life has so many twists and turns and it almost seems like as our world gets older, the respect for marriage diminishes, but 30 years definitely deserves an applause! What an achievement that is! I loved getting to meet Danny and Cecilia and talking to them about how they met. I couldn’t resist asking them for some marital advice. This is what they shared with me…
“First of all, when you say “30 years” it sounds like a long time, but when you live it, it is phenomenally fast! This is what we have learned together:
- Always stand together with the Lord as the head of your home and you will have a blessed marriage.
- Be committed to the “happily ever after” not to the escape clause!
- Communicate well before you get married so you can keep on communicating while you are in the marriage.
- If you are fighting, someone is being selfish. It’s not about winning as an individual, it’s about winning together.
- Find a way to discuss all of your issues privately and harmoniously together; for us it was fully clothed in bed. We lay face to face, with no distractions until we resolved our issue.
- Men: lead your family in love, truth, mercy, and grace. Face the hard things with prayer, honor, and strength.
- Women: submit to your husband even though our world tells us it is a sign of weakness. Even when he’s leading with the above character strengths you will learn it still requires more strength than you ever knew you had.
- Tell each other often how much you love and admire who they are and what they do.
- Put your marriage first before your parents and your children.
- Laugh together often and at each other! It will strengthen your character!
Happy Anniversary Danny and Cecilia!